"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." --Ralph Waldo Emerson
At PoCoMo we are committed to progressive thinking, positive growth, and creative learning. We believe in the capacity of youth to overcome life’s challenges and we strive to create equal opportunity for youth in our communities. We are devoted to prevention and early intervention by providing support and services for our youth on their terms and in their environment. Our outreach model addresses each youth based on an assessment of their individual-needs in the moment of contact. We are committed to providing support for youth and referrals when needed. At PoCoMo we do our best to build relationships with youth at-risk because we believe those relationships can be the catalyst for change. Research shows that the fewer relationships a person has, the more vulnerable they are. Likewise, the more relationships a person has, the safer they feel. Building relationships facilitates prevention and early intervention which are fundamental for reaching our goals: safer youth and safer communities.
Our mandate is to, through our after-hours mobile outreach services, meet youth where they are, build relationships, have a consistent presence, create a safe place for youth to access information, and provide support and referrals when possible.
Code of Ethics
- We shall maintain the best interests of our clients as the primary professional obligation.
- We shall put personal safety and freedom from harm first in our decisions regarding what constitute the best interests of our clients.
- We shall respect the intrinsic worth of all persons we serve in our professional relationships with them.
- We shall act in ways that acknowledge both diversity and oppression, and promote the reduction of systemic and institutional barriers to the wellbeing of our clients.
- We shall conduct our professional duties and obligations with integrity and objectivity.
- We shall ensure that our professional, personal, and occupational interests do not affect our relationships with clients, our judgment, or our competence.
- We shall protect the confidentiality of all professionally acquired information. We shall disclose such information only when required or allowed by law to do so, or when clients have consented disclosure.
- We shall promote services, programs, and the agency in ways that are consistent with this Code of Ethics, with agency policy, and with standards of practice outlined by the various accreditation and registration boards that govern our professions.
- We shall promote excellence and maintain competence in the delivery of services and in our professions.
- We shall advocate for change in the best interests of our clients and for the overall benefit of society.
This code has been adapted from the Code of Ethics for the Board of Registration for Social Workers in British Columbia.