- We shall maintain the best interests of our clients as the primary professional obligation.
- We shall put personal safety and freedom from harm first in our decisions regarding what constitute the best interests of our clients.
- We shall respect the intrinsic worth of all persons we serve in our professional relationships with them.
- We shall act in ways that acknowledge both diversity and oppression, and promote the reduction of systemic and institutional barriers to the wellbeing of our clients.
- We shall conduct our professional duties and obligations with integrity and objectivity.
- We shall ensure that our professional, personal, and occupational interests do not affect our relationships with clients, our judgment, or our competence.
- We shall protect the confidentiality of all professionally acquired information. We shall disclose such information only when required or allowed by law to do so, or when clients have consented disclosure.
- We shall promote services, programs, and the agency in ways that are consistent with this Code of Ethics, with agency policy, and with standards of practice outlined by the various accreditation and registration boards that govern our professions.
- We shall promote excellence and maintain competence in the delivery of services and in our professions.
- We shall advocate for change in the best interests of our clients and for the overall benefit of society.
This code has been adapted from the Code of Ethics for the Board of Registration for Social Workers in British Columbia.